Constitution of The Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division (BAM) of the International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS)
Statutes of 1987 incorporating amendments approved in 1999, 2005 and 2017.
In accordance with the Constitution of the International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS), the name of the Division is “Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division”. Those articles of the IUMS constitution referring to the constitutions and activities of subordinate bodies shall apply to this Division.
Article 2: Objectives
The objectives of the Division are:
- To maintain contact among bacteriologists and microbiological societies throughout the world within the organisation of IUMS through sponsorship of international meetings (congresses, symposia, conferences and colloquia), distribution of current information in the field of bacteriology and applied microbiology and support of other appropriate activities.
- To maintain contact with other Divisions of IUMS through exchange of information on Division activities and to hold Interdivisional Meetings in accordance with rulings of IUMS.
- To be responsible to the Executive Board (EB) of IUMS in accordance with the constitution of IUMS.
- To support Committees, Federations and Commissions (COMCOFs) as may be appropriate for international cooperation and agreement.
- To represent bacteriologists and applied microbiologists as a Division of IUMS.
- To encourage research in bacteriology and applied microbiology.
- To encourage the highest standard of training of bacteriologists and applied microbiologists of all nations so that bacteriology and applied microbiology may be used for the fullest benefit of humankind.
Article 3:Composition of the Division
Member Societies, Associate Societies and Supporting Members of IUMS having an active interest in Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology may become members of the Division. A country may have more than one Member Society in the Division. The Division has established Committees, Commissions and Federations (COMCOFs) each concerned with a particular aspect of bacteriology and applied microbiology which contribute to the activities of the Division.
Article 4: The Divisional Council
The Divisional Council is comprised of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary-Treasurer, the immediate Past-Chairperson, one delegate from each National Committee and one delegate from each COMCOF. The Divisional Council meets at the time of the Divisional meetings. The Secretary-General of IUMS is a member of the Council (ex-officio). To provide continuity, the immediate past Secretary-Treasurer is entitled to attend, with no right to vote, for one additional term when requested by the Chairperson.
Article 5: Voting
- Each National Committee may send a delegate or delegates to the meetings of the Divisional Council according to the number of microbiologists resident in the country: less than 500 members, one delegate; 500-3000 members, two delegates; more than 3000 members, three delegates
- Each National Committee delegate [the number determined as in (a)] has one vote on scientific matters.
- The whole National delegation has only one vote on behalf of its National Committee on administrative matters.
- The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Secretary-Treasurer each have one vote on scientific and administrative matters. Each COMCOF has a vote on administrative matters.
- Voting is decided upon by a simple majority of the voting delegates present. In cases of doubt, the presiding officer decides whether a motion is scientific or administrative. If the votes are equally divided, the vote of the presiding officer decides: ordinarily the presiding officer does not vote.
- When a National Committee is unable to send a full delegation, the delegate(s) attending will hold the proxy vote(s) entitled to the whole delegation. If a National Committee is unable to be present at the Divisional Council their votes can be delegated to other National Committee in which case they should fully accredit their delegation. Alternatively, proxy votes can be delegated to the Secretary-Treasurer. Delegation of proxy votes should be notified to the Secretary-General preferably by e-mail at least one week before the meeting of the Divisional Council or in writing at the time of the meeting.
Article 6: The Officers of the Division
- The officers of the Division shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-chairperson and a Secretary-Treasurer. The Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson, the Secretary-Treasurer and the immediate Past-Chairperson shall be the Executive committee of the Division. The Chairperson and Vice-chairperson hold office for 3 years and are not eligible for re-election to that office. The Secretary-Treasurer may usually hold office for 2 terms of 3 years and can be re-elected for successive 3 years periods if unopposed.
- Nominations for the position of officers on standard forms provided by the Secretary-Treasurer, containing a biography of the nominee and a statement indicating a willingness to serve, are sought by the National Committees, Member Societies and the COMCOFs at least six months before the Divisional meetings. The nominations are sent to the Secretary-Treasurer of BAM at least three months before the Divisional meeting. The Secretary-Treasurer checks the nominations for adequacy and circulates them to Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson.
- Should a vacancy on the Executive Committee of the Divisional Council occur between meetings by reason of health or resignation, nomination for a replacement may be made by the remaining members of the Executive Committee. The Secretary-Treasurer (or Chairperson) shall conduct an election by mail/e-mail ballot of the Divisional Council and a simple majority vote of members shall constitute election. The votes shall be received within a time set by the Secretary-Treasurer (or Chairperson) in each case.
- The main duty of the Executive Committee is to organise at intervals of not less than 3 years an International Congress for Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology and, between congresses, such other meetings (symposia, conferences, colloquia) as may be appropriate.
- The time and place of the next Congress(es) shall be decided upon by the Executive Board of IUMS after consultation with the Executive Committee of the Division.
- For each Divisional congress, there shall be a Programme Committee composed of a Programme Chairperson (the Vice-Chairperson of the Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division), working in collaboration with the congress hosts and advised by the Council of the Division and an International Advisory Board formed by renown microbiologists. The Vice-Chairperson of BAM (or his/her local delegate) will chair meetings of the Programme committee; the Vice-Chairperson of the Division will have ultimate responsibility for the programme. Local arrangements and implementation of the programme shall be in the hands of a local Host Committee.
- The duties of the Chairperson shall be:
- To represent the Division on the Executive Board of IUMS and to attend meetings of the Executive Board.
- To chair meetings of the Executive Committee and Council of the Division
- To prepare with the Secretary-Treasurer the agenda for meetings of the Executive Committee of the Division
- To prepare with the Secretary-Treasurer and other members of the Executive Committee of the Division the agenda for meetings of the Divisional Council.
- Together with the Secretary-Treasurer, maintain records pertinent to the BAM Division activities, decisions and relations with COMCOFs.
- The duties of the Vice-Chairperson shall be:
- To chair meetings of the Executive Committee of the Division in the absence of the Chairperson.
- To be Chairperson of the Programme Committee for International Congresses of the Division [see (d) above].
- To prepare with other members of the Executive Committee the agenda for meetings of the Divisional Council.
- To represent the Division on the Executive Board of IUMS and to attend meetings of the EB.
- The duties of the Secretary-Treasurer shall be:
- To prepare with the Chairperson the agenda for meetings of the Executive Committee of the Division.
- To prepare with other members of the Executive Committee the agenda for meetings of the Divisional Council
- To attend the meetings of the Executive Board of IUMS in the absence of the Chairperson or Vice-chairperson.
- To present to the Plenary meeting of the Divisional Council a report covering all pertinent activities of the Executive Committee of the Division.
- To correspond with National Committees, Member Societies and the COMCOFs and to perform duties as the Executive Committee of the Division may from time to time determine.
- To handle any funds that may be allocated to the Division by IUMS or received from other sources approved by IUMS and to present a statement of the expenditure of the Division to the Treasurer of IUMS each year by 31st
- To conduct elections and other duties that are necessary to carry on the business of the Division.
- To prepare a report on the activities of the Division for the Chairperson to present at meetings of the Executive Board of IUMS.
- To provide the Secretary-General of IUMS and the Secretaries of the other Sections, International Committees, Federations and Commissions with proposals and notices of congresses, symposia, conferences, colloquia and other meetings as appropriate.
- In cooperation with IUMS Secretary General, maintain a registry of affiliated societies and COMCOFs including addresses of responsible persons at each one.
- Assist the BAM Chair to obtain records pertinent to the BAM Division activities, decisions and relations with COMCOFs. Maintain these records on-line and in a physical support using media that can be easily transferred to successive BAM Chairs and Secretary-Treasurers. At the time of releasing the duties of Secretary-Treasurer, transfer all the records to the incoming BAM Chair and Secretary-Treasurer.
- The duties of the representatives (the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson) of the Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division on the Executive Board of IUMS shall be to attend EB meetings and to report on the activities of the Executive Board to the Executive Committee of the Division.
- The duties of the Executive Committee of the Division shall be:
- To organise the Division effectively.
- To maintain communication with the Executive Board of IUMS, other Divisions of IUMS and existing COMCOFs that are relevant to the Division
- To form committees as are necessary for carrying out the duties and functions of the Division.
- To hold plenary meetings of the Divisional Council
Article 7: The duties of the Divisional Council
- To confirm the appointment of the Chairperson of the Division.
- To elect from the membership of the Council the Vice-Chairperson and Secretary-Treasurer of the Division.
- To consider and vote upon the recommendations of the Executive Committee relevant to the activities of the Division
Article 8: Committees, Commissions and Federations (COMCOFs)
- Committees are composed of delegates, one appointed by each Member Society interested in the work of the Committee. Each committee elects an Executive Committee from among these delegates. Additional members may be co-opted by this Executive Committee, bearing in mind the total representation of the countries concerned, and ordinarily are approved by the Executive Committee of the Division.
- A Commission is composed of persons with a common interest and purpose from at least three Member countries. A commission may be temporary or permanent. Membership is determined by competence in the field in which the Commission works.
- A Federation is composed of organisations, laboratories, institutions or other operative units with a common interest and purpose.
- Each COMCOF elects three or more officers (including a Chairperson, one or more Vice-Chairpersons and a Secretary) who constitute an Executive Committee.
- The Secretary of each COMCOF provides the Secretary-Treasurer of the Division with a short annual report on the activities and finances of the COMCOF, a copy of the minutes of executive and other meetings, and proposals and notices of symposia, colloquia or other meetings.
- The Division may provide financial assistance to COMCOFs for operating expenses and scientific purposes. Such funds are accounted for to the Secretary-Treasurer at the end of each financial year.
- A COMCOF may obtain funds from other appropriate sources. The Divisional Secretary-Treasurer is informed of any applications for grants sought and of support received from international, governmental or non-governmental sources.
Article 9: General
- No-one connected with a commercial firm is entitled to use his/her connection with the Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division or a COMCOF of the Division, either as a member or officer, to advertise or promote his/her company for lucrative purposes.
- No publication of the Division or of a COMCOF of the Division shall bear any indication of sponsorship by a commercial company or institution connected in any way with a commercial company, except an acceptable acknowledgment of financial assistance. Furthermore, any publication containing material not authorised, prepared or edited by the Division or COMCOF of the Division may not bear the name of IUMS or BAM without specific permission of the Executive Board of IUMS and the Executive Committee of BAM.
Article 10: Disposition of any remaining funds
In the event of dissolution of the Division, any remaining funds shall be remitted to the Treasurer of IUMS.
Article 11: The Constitution
The Constitution of the Division may be amended by a three-quarter majority vote of the voting delegates present at a Divisional Council meeting or by a postal/e-mail vote. Any Divisional Council member may propose amendments which are to be sent to the Secretary-Treasurer of the Division and transmitted to the Divisional Council members at least six months prior to a meeting of the Divisional Council. The amendments must afterwards be approved by the Executive Board of IUMS.
The legal seat of the Division shall be that of the Secretary-Treasurer.
As ratified by the Council meeting at Singapore July 18 2017